Follow by Email

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Porch Appeal

As with everything else (and homeownership) our house is constantly a work in progress.

We've done some landscape work (but still have a lot on our wish list), but our porch definitely needed some sprucing up!

Here is a shot of our house when we bought it:


We got rid of the fountain right away and redid the front planter but not much happened after that.
We did add a set of adirondack chairs with a little connecting table to put on the porch.The chairs were cute, but not very functional as they were very low to the ground and not that comfortable to sit in.

Last week we found these white rocking chairs and couldn't resist. They were just what our house was missing!



We even added some flowers to our pots on the porch.


Recognize these two?


Now I'm on the hunt for a cute little end table (maybe in a fun color?) and am debating some artwork to hang on the house...

I'll keep you posted!

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Nursery Sneak Peek: Disposal Area

Finally making some progress that's worth blogging about! Here is a little sneak peek about the nursery, see if you can guess what our "theme" is...

I found this great wire apple crate at Homegoods and thought it would make the perfect laundry basket for Baby O's clothes. I added this old Canadian "disposal area" license plate to finish it off by attaching it with a few pieces of wire.


And of course made Cali try it out... works perfectly!

I even put it to the test by washing up some of Baby O's clothes. Eric assembled the crib last night so I hope to have more to show you next week!

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Kitchen Shelving Reveal

I posted here about building new kitchen shelves and they are finally ready to show you! Here is what the original shelves looked like after we painted them to match:


As you can see there is a big gap at the top and also on the right side. These shelves required several pieces of trim molding to make them flush with the top and the wall so my husband decided it would be better to just build new shelves from scratch that fit the space perfectly.

So while we built and painted our kitchen looked like this:


We used solid pine so each set of shelves cost about $20.


We used chaulking to fill in all the joints so it looks seamless once it's painted.


Gave them a few light coats of primer.


And several coats of paint.

And they were ready to hang up!


I decorated with items we had up before when there were three shelves on each side. Now that there are only two and each is a bit taller I will keep my eye out for some new pieces and keep playing with them until they are just right.



Next up: a new kitchen faucet! I just have to talk Eric into that one...