Follow by Email

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Etched Whiskey Glasses

Yesterday was my brother's birthday and these etched whiskey glasses were the perfect personalized gift!
I started with some nice glasses from Macy's.

Added a vinyl stencil with a graphic I made out of his initials using my Silhouette machine.

Put the glasses in a pyrex and held them in place with dish cloths (very fancy, I know!) and covered the initials with etching cream.

I usually wait much longer than the instructions, this time I left the cream on for about an hour, to make sure the etching is nice and even. Wash it off, remove the stencil and you're left with these personalized glasses!


An easy gift and you could modify this so many different ways!


Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Faux Brick Wall

We've been working hard to finish up our projects in the nursery, but it seems like lately we've just been adding more things to the list. One of those projects was adding a faux brick and I'm so glad we decided to go for it, the brick makes such a difference in the room!
To simplify the installation we chose to install the brick on this wall where there aren't any windows and where the changing table will go.


Lowe's sells brick paneling in 4 x 8 sheets (similar to bead board) so we needed two to cover this wall.


We could have just put up the first one and cut the second to size, but we didn't want the seam to be completely obvious so Eric notched out the half brick all the way down and we put it up starting in the corner and securing it to the wall with a few black screws.


Then we notched out the second piece and carefully fit them together. To get everything to fit as close as possible this involved filing a few of the bricks until the puzzle pieces fit just right. The scraps we pieced together above the door and used black caulking to fill in any of the seams.


For being faux brick paneling, the wall looks great! It adds so much character and just what this room needed.


I'm glad we spent the time and energy to add this and I love how it turned out!

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

DIY Upholstery Experiment

Although my posts have been few and far between we've been busy working away to get the nursery ready. I've been hinting I had quite the ambitious project coming up and I was so intimidated that I kept pushing it off because I didn't think it would turn out.

Well I'm happy to report we have a great new addition to the nursery that is going to get plenty of use!
I've looked everywhere for an upholstered glider that would match the nursery. I was really hoping for something gray, navy, or red. The selection of gliders in those colors is very limited; they cost a ridiculous amount of money and nothing was quite the right size.
A few months ago my mom and I stopped by a local high school fundraiser and found this amazing glider.

It was originally from a very expensive childrens boutique, the perfect size and extremely comfortable, just not quite the right color. No problem, for $20 I figured I could easily have it recovered.
After getting several quotes, I wasn't sure if I was willing to pay the $600+ dollars it would cost to have it redone and debated about buying a new glider in a color I didn't really want.
After watching this great tutorial series from Tip Junkie I wasn't as terrified of ripping it apart and decided to give it a shot. I started by carefully disassembling the entire chair.


Until I was left with this:


Then it was time to reconstruct the chair with my favorite helper.

The toughest part was keeping everything tight and in position while it was being stapled down. With a little help from my husband and a bit of patience I am thrilled with the result!

I used the same navy blue material from Eric's baby bassinet redo. It looks great in the room and now I'm on the hunt for an ottoman.

We've made quite a bit of progress to finish up the room, but it seems like the to-do list just keeps growing!