Thursday, May 17, 2012

Personalized Welcome Mat

If you've been here before you know I love anything unique and personalized! We recently purchased new rocking chairs and have been working here and there on sprucing up our front porch. Making a welcome mat has been on my to-do list and I recently found the perfect one.

I started with a plain mat and used my Silhouette to cut out stencils. I was hoping the vinyl would help keep the stencil in place, but the mat is so coarse and textured that I might as well have used cardstock.

I used acrylic paint and a Marth Stewart foam blotter to fill in the O with navy blue paint. Because of the texture I knew it wouldn't be perfect so I just tried to keep the color even throughout.

After it was filled in I immediately removed the stencil and let the O dry overnight. Then I added number stencils to layer on top (this time I just used cardstock and put a few pieces of masking tape on the back to keep them in place).


I started filling in the numbers with silver metallic paint but it wasn't covering well so I layered it with plain white.

Here it is ready to welcome our visitors:


We still have some big plans for the porch but this is a nice touch in the meantime!

4 comments:

  1. Adorable! Love how you used 2 colors and over lapped them. Not sure but I think I have the same front door... Visiting from Curb Alert Block Party, I'm now a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very cute. I am in love with anything monogrammed or personalized. Thanks for linking it up to our Friday Block Party last week, our block party for this week is now live. Hope to see you there!
    Tami @ Curb Alert!
    http://tamicurbalert.blogspot.com/2012/05/friday-block-party-6-feature-from-party.html

    ReplyDelete