Friday, January 20, 2012

Mini Pennant Banner

I love decorating for holidays. In fact our attic is jam packed with decorations for every holiday, season, and special occasion. I used to hit up Target and buy all my holiday decorations, but over the past year I have been so inspired by all the ideas around blogland that I try make it myself instead!

One of my favorite trends is the pennant banner so I made a mini Valentine's version!

Start with any pink, red, or patterned paper. I went through my scrap box and used up some little pieces I had.

I could have cut out the pennants using my Silhouette machine, but I find it easier to cut them by hand, especially when I'm using the little scraps. As a template I cut out a sample pennant to make sure they were all the same size.

Since you want each pennant to fold over the string you need to line up the top of the pennant with the fold of the paper. I used my scoring board to make nice crisp lines but you could easily crease the paper by hand.

 Once you have all your pieces folded, line up your template and get cutting!


I'm making a large banner to go across our fireplace so my pile is pretty big.

I used red and white baker's twine I had left over from Christmas tags, but you can use any type of string or ribbon. Each pennant should look like this:

Put some type of adhesive on the inside and line up the twine on the fold. My favorite is my Scotch Adhesive Tape Gun (ATG) that I originally bought to do our wedding invitations/decorations. This version is a lot cheaper ($40 at Michael's) and you can use a 50% off coupon, I highly recommend it as I use mine all the time!



Press it closed and repeat, repeat, repeat! Until you end up with something like this:



I plan on decorating this weekend and hope to have pictures to show you on Monday!


1 comment: