Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Thread Board

One of my best friends had this mirror from Ikea:
When the mirror broke, she gave me the empty metal frame. It took me awhile to figure out what it was going to be…..I debated about making a bulletin board or a jewelry rack, but finally realized it would be the perfect place to organize all my sewing thread.

The frame is rather large (22”x22”) so it will hold a lot of thread. I took a trip to Lowe’s to pick up some peg board ($5) and a few wooden dowels ($0.60 each) and got to work.

Patience is not a virtue I possess and I couldn’t stand to wait for my husband to get home and cut the pegboard down, so I painstakingly cut a 22”x22” square with one of his hand saws. I use his drill all the time, but I wasn’t brave enough to break out the electric saw… there was no one else home to take me to the hospital!

A few hours minutes later I had my square cut and the dowels cut in 3.5” segments. The dowels are the perfect size for the holes in the pegboard; I just used a little hot glue on the back side to hold them securely in place.

 I sprayed the pegboard and dowels with white primer and paint.


Poking the dowels in styrofoam helps make sure they get an even coat of primer and paint.


I sprayed the frame with primer and Krylon “Classic Gray” spray paint.


Once it dried I just had to put the board in the frame and hang it on the wall. Viola!




I need to buy a few more dowels to fill up the pegboard and hold the rest of my thread stash, but it’s so nice to have the thread out and easily accessible, now I can get to my long list of sewing projects!

11 comments:

  1. That is the coolest idea! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea. I often wonder up ideas of how to organize my thread!! I may have to use my own variation of this great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is a stylish way to store thread!!

    Found you through Someday Crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great, Husband and I were just discussing the sewing room project last night. Will have to add this to the list of builds. I am a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much, I'm so happy with how it turned out and love having the thread out and easy to get to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Love this! Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday!

    I pinned this too!

    Melanie
    bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this idea...I could really use this in my crafting area...yours looks so fancy! :)

    I featured this on my blog today...come grab a new "featured" button!

    http://christinasadventures.com/2011/09/sunday-features-37.html


    I'm also pinning it to my Pinterest board! :)

    http://pinterest.com/christinasadven/20-below-features/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Creative ideas. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been looking for a fun way to hold my thread and I think I've found it here! And the tip about putting the dowels in styrofoam to hold them while painting is great! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really want/need a thread board, and that's an awesome way to use an old frame.:) Now I just need to go break a mirror...;)
    I'm a new follower from Project Queen:)
    http://everydaygameplan.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is AWESOME!!! love it.
    just found you recently - having a sticky at all your past posts.
    lovely blog.
    cheryl @ nefotlak. xox.

    ReplyDelete