Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Luggage Rack Makeover

I’ve seen lots of cute luggage racks used in home décor lately; I especially love the ones being used as nightstands!

When I found this one for $1 at Goodwill I had to bring it home. Unfortunately it’s been sitting in the spare room for a few months and I finally got around to finishing it!

It was missing a strap and the colors weren’t what I had in mind so I removed the nylon strapping and gave the yellow base a good coat of gray paint. I had to adjust it several times to get everything covered!



I love the look of burlap upholstery strapping and figured it would work great on this project. At $0.79 a yard, it’s a very inexpensive option!

I started by stapling the strapping on the inside of the rack. This way when it wraps across to the other side the staples will be covered.



Once I had the first side secured I marked where I should cut the strapping. You want it to be long enough that the feet sit securely on the floor, but tight enough that the straps don’t sag when it’s open.


I wrapped strapping the same way on the second side, but kept the rack folded so I could staple it down underneath.


Easy as that! It looks great with a wooden tray and can be used as an end table.


And it folds up easily to be tucked away!

7 comments:

  1. super cute! love the webbing and the tray is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute!! I love it! Also, your wood floors are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice idea! Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday.

    Melanie
    bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a luggage rack once...and I used upholstery webbing on it as well. Loved it! Now why did I give it to my sister??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea and happen to have one waiting for an idea to rehab. I would love for you to share this at my Restyled Sundays party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So awesome!!
    Thanks for sharing at Show & Share!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The burlap straps are great! Luggage racks always remind me of the guest room at my grandma's when I was young :-)

    ReplyDelete